Sunday, October 2, 2011

87%

I kind of limped towards the end of the 30 day blog September challenge.  And then just sat by the side of the road and failed to cross the finish line.

26 posts over 30 days.  Still, that is 87% which is a high distinction (or an A+ for those who still think in the old grading system).  So although I have been walking around feeling a bit guilty about failing the challenge, I have now decided to get over it and be happy with my effort anyway!

It has been a busy month for me.  Not least because we bought a house.

Wait.  Did you catch that?  We bought a house!  Picture me doing a little excited jig at the prospect of living in my own home soon.   Well, when I say that we "bought a house", I mean we have signed papers agreeing to buy a house.   Settlement is not until November and the actually paying will be going on for quite some time.

In order to get to the point of buying the house we had to make some very big decisions (ie we are staying in Perth for at least the foreseeable future) and, being the over-analyzer that I am, meant a lot of research into where and what to buy, and then lots and lots and lots of looking at homes for sale.  Phew, glad that part is over.

I have also been busy with work, and study and all the usual stuff, but it was the house hunting and stress of decision making that pushed me over the edge.  So, that is my excuse for stumbling towards the end of the challenge.

The good thing is that eating vegan at home is really not difficult and does not have to be time consuming at all.  Neither does it have to be fancy, expensive or pretentious.  Hopefully over the month I have been able to show you that much at least.  Baked beans on toast for dinner is a perfectly acceptable meal when time is short.  And vegan-convenience food (eg "sausages" or lentil patties) + a pile of microwaved/steamed/boiled veggies is a fantastically healthy meal that won't break the budget and will meet your nutritional needs.

Thanks again to Good Reason for the 30 day blog September inspiration.  I greatly admire those who did complete the challenge.  A big gold star and lots of respect to you.

Here a few pictures of my new house (lifted from the real estate web site) for anyone who is interested and wants to share in my excitement.   It has a one lovely gum tree and a rather excessive number of palm trees.  Personally I would have preferred more gum trees and less palm trees, but hey, you can't have everything you want.


Can you see the house?  It is the brick thing hiding behind the palm trees.
Yes it is very 80's and perhaps a little ugly, but plenty of room for vegan baking.
Look at my double pantry! Think of all the vegan baking ingredients I can store in there!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I have just stumbled across your blog so hello! I'm a virtually vegan fostermum living in the UK and trying to be as frugal as possible while crafting and working full time too!
I will be following your blog to try out the recipes - and I think your new house is lovely!! Nice to meet you (in the virtual world anyway!!) Fostermummy X

Mandy said...

Hi Fostermummy!

Welcome and thankyou. Lovely to meet you too :)

Sounds like you have a very busy life. I am very interested in fostering and would love to here some of your experiences.

Cheers,
Mandy

Sarah said...

That's so exciting, Mandy. I think I'm going to have to take this to email to hear all the details.

Claire said...

How exciting! Congrats on the house. I think the kitchen looks great! If you want to change it up I'm sure you can make it pretty, but it has everything you need :) and heaps of gorgeous trees!