Monday, October 3, 2011

Vegan MoFo

When I hear the term MoFo the first thing that comes to mind is a rather less PC term than Month of Food.  But that is what it stands for in the case of Vegan MoFo.


The concept was started over at The Post Punk Kitchen.  Nothing surprising here as lots of good things start over at PPK such as chocolate cupcakes and other mouthwatering treats.
"VeganMoFo was originally created on the Post Punk Kitchen, as an homage to NaNoWriMo. Because we do want to write novels, but sometimes cooking gets in the way. So why not combine them!"
Now that is an idea that I can get behind (although I am not letting my self off the hook re: NaNoWriMo).

The idea is to write at least 20 blogs (one each weekday - you have grace on the weekends) in October that somehow relate to veganism.  After September's abysmal 87% (just kidding) I did not quite feel ready to commit to another month of blogging pressure.  So I have not officially signed up for Vegan MoFo but I don't plan on missing out on the fun entirely! 

For a list of the blogs of the intrepid souls who have signed up look here:  The definitive list of all MoFo-ers in 2011.   I am certain you will find some very interesting reading and inspiration.  (What do you think I have spent half my afternoon doing?)

My plan for October is to catch you up on some of the highs and lows, triumphs and challenges, of my vegan apprenticeship.  Yes I know that I said I was going to write more experience posts at the beginning of September and then I didn't (chalk that up as another fail).  But this time I really mean it. 

As a sneak peak I can tell you that this vegan thing is mostly easier than it looks.  (Phew!)   But there have been some challenges and I am still a long way from being 100% animal product free. 

Over the next month I aim to update you about how my vegan quest has been received by friends, family and cafe staff, the easy changes to make, the accidental (and intentional) stuff ups, the foods I have missed and the quagmires of trying to avoid vegan self-righteous fundamentalism.

And somewhere along the way I will make a decision for a challenge bigger than my vegan apprenticeship - whether to sign up for NaNoWriMo this year, or use the move to a new house in November as my excuse for putting it off for another year.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm very glad you're still going to be blogging fairly regularly. I really enjoyed reading your September posts and seeing what you were having for dinner each night. As well as giving me great recipe ideas, it made me feel not quite so far away. You've also inspired me to try to make it not so much of a one way street. I did take a picture of my dinner - Caribbean curried black-eyed peas with plantains(from Isa's "Appetite for Reduction" - to share with you, but I'm afraid it tasted a lot better than it looked!

Mandy said...

Thanks Sarah.
I would love to see pictures of your dinners. Is the curried black-eyed peas good? Should I put it on my short list?

I am loving Isa's books but sometimes I have trouble getting motivated to try a new recipe if there is no photo so feel free to share some pics :)