Sunday, October 23, 2011

Bounty Slice

The key ingredient for the 3rd Vegan MoFo Iron Chef challenge is coconut.  Mmm, coconut.  I love coconut.  I adore coconut - in curries, in chocolate, and in desserts of all descriptions.

But what to make for the challenge?  Maybe a slice?  Dear husband asked if the filling would be like a Bounty.  Perfect!  Just the inspiration I needed.  Thank you dear husband.

Here is what I came up with:


I am very happy with the result.  It is very, very rich.  It is really a no-bake confectionery, rather than a slice. So if you make it please cut it into small squares.  You have been warned!  I cut mine into 48 squares.  Dear husband and I have eaten a few each and now we can't even contemplate dinner.


If I make this again I think I will keep the coconut layer thinner, but keep the proportions of the ingredients the same as it was just delicious.  Who am I kidding?  "If"!  I will definitely be making this again.  Hmmm, better yet, maybe next time I will make just as much filling, double the base and chocolate, and make it in a bigger tray!  Then there will even be enough to share.


Ingredients
250gm biscuits (cookies)
125gm margarine, melted

1 can coconut cream
60gm margarine
½ cup castor sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2½ cup dessicated coconut

125gm chocolate
½ vegetable oil eg canola oil - NOT olive oil

Method
1. Line a slice tray
2. Crush the biscuits.  Mix in the melted margarine.  Press into tray.
3. In a saucepan combine the coconut cream, margarine, castor sugar and vanilla essence.  Heat until well combined and then simmer for 5 minutes over a low heat, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in the coconut then spread over the biscuit base.
5. Refrigerate until set (I popped mine in the freezer for 30 minutes and then the fridge for an hour).
6. Melt the chocolate and oil together.  Spread over the slice.  Refrigerate for ~ 15 minutes until just set then cut into squares.  (Don't let the chocolate get too hard before you try to cut it.)  Refrigerate for a further 30 minutes before serving.
 

For the base I used McVities Hobnobs.  They were perfect.  What a great vegan find.  But what a shame that it is a 400gm packet and I only needed 250gm for the base.  Dear husband and I had to eat a few with a glass of creamy soy milk while we waited for the slice to set.  No wonder we are too full for dinner!

4 comments:

Joyful said...

These look soooooo good!

ZuckerBaby said...

Wow! They look and sound intense and lovely! Mmmmmm...

Farrah P said...

These look divine! I have to try and make them.

Mandy said...

Thanks Joyful, Zuckerbaby and Farrah.
These actually taste even better than they look.
:)