Sunday, October 30, 2011

Carrot Curry Puffs

The Vegan MoFo Iron Chef Challenge # 3 - Carrots & Oats!  What a great idea.  I just had to wrap my creation in puff pastry because I am pretty sure that just about anything can be improved by wrapping it in puff pastry.  I am just such a classy girl like that  :)



Ingredients
2 cups cooked, mashed carrot and pumpkin
(I used 2 large carrots and a chunk of pumpkin which came to a total of 500gm of raw veggies)
300mg silken tofu, also mashed
1 tablespoon oil (I used peanut oil)
1 medium sized onion chopped very finely
1 small garlic clove crushed
1/2 teaspoon finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder (more or less depending on your taste buds)

3 sheets of puff pastry
A little soy milk or oil to brush the tops with
Poppy seeds to decorate

Method
1. Prepare mashed carrot and pumpkin (if you haven't already)
2. Preheat oven to hot (220oC).  Line a tray with baking paper.
3. Lay the 3 sheets of puff pastry out to soften.
4. Saute the onion and garlic in the oil until translucent.
5. Add the ginger and curry powder and fry for a couple of minutes.
6. Combine the mashed veggies, tofu and onion mixture.
7. Cut the puff pastry sheets into halves.  You will now have 6 rectangles.
8. Make a "log" of the mixture along each rectangle.
9. Roll the pastry over the log.  Carefully cut into desired size.  I like party sized rolls so I cut each log into 5 pieces yielding 30 rolls in total.  (At this point you can store some rolls in the freezer for later.  Make sure you separate the rolls - the plastic sheets that come in the packet to separate each sheet of puff pastry work really well.)
10. Place on the tray with the "join" underneath.  Brush with a little soy milk or oil.  Sprinkle a few poppy seeds on top.
11.  Bake for about 25 minutes - until the pastry is golden and the yummy aroma seeps out of the oven.

A selection of Vegan Puffs.  Yummy!

Well, I now have 3 recipes for vegan puffs, or rolls, or savouries, or whatever you want to call them.   But you will have to come back another day for the other recipes.  They keep really well in the freezer.  Just defrost for 15+ minutes (while the oven preheats).  If I am serving more than one kind at once I make sure I decorate the rolls with different seeds so that people know which one to reach for when they come back for seconds.  And they will come back for seconds.  Serve with dipping bowls of tomato sauce (for true Aussie flavour), chilli sauce, and any other personal favorite sauce.

4 comments:

Brittany Boersma said...

These looks soo good!

Farrah P said...

What a great idea! I love these...I think these have to make an appearance at my next party. :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thai_foodie said...

I always used to order these from my near Thai restaurant . so i tried making them myself . Your recipe was very useful. They were tasty, although I regret I made so many little ones - I think next time I will make larger ones with more filling inside each of them!