Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 11 - More Nut Roast, gravy and memories.

Last night was left overs, a few veggies zapped in the microwave, and memories of that eventful day 10 years ago. 

Nut Roast reheats well in the microwave and tastes even better on the second day.

"Aah! Bisto."  This is the gravy I am using at the moment.  Super convenient - mixes very easily and is never lumpy.  I sound like a bloody advert!  But I don't show brands for the sake of advertising - rather to show that a vegan diet doesn't have to be hard work.   Part of the reason I delayed trying a vegan diet is that I assumed it would be very difficult and time consuming, but that is definitely not the case.

"Aah! Bisto."  How cute is my jug?  It is an op-shop find from years ago.

And memories.  9/11 and the death of Diana are two public events that stand out very clearly in my memory;  where I was when I heard the news, how I felt, what I thought, and being glued to the news coverage for hours afterwards.  What puzzles me is that it wasn't for weeks (?months) afterwards that I learned that Mother Teresa died in the same week as Diana.  But strangely I don't recall where or when I heard about Mother Teresa's death.  So, no images of 9/11 here today.  Instead an image of a very remarkable women, controversial in many ways, but undoubtedly extraordinary.

Image by Mary Ellen Mark (the photographer I am currently obsessed with).

3 comments:

Frugal Down Under said...

Yes same here.

I remember Di I was walking down the street and saw it on a TV that was facing the street at a backpackers.

9/11 I was in bed asleep and my uni called me (I was heading for a NY UN conference in the next few days and they thought I'd already left so got worried). I was up for the rest of the night glued to the TV and trying to call friends in NY especially one who worked near the World Trade. He was running late for work - his building went down and colleagues perished - his lateness made him survive.

Mother Theresa - don't remember what I was doing. I used to be a HUGE Fan but my partner taught me about her other side. And I lost that Fan feeling big time.

I might try that nut roast.

Mandy said...

I lost that "fan feeling" too when I read a very interesting biography about 10 years ago. That woman was certainly no meek, ego-less nun. As a GP a lot of her anti-interventionalist/anti-medical views really rile me. I think of what could have been achieved with the funds she raised if a more evidenced based and empowering view had been taken.

Still, the feminist in me has to admire the pint sized dynamo that did things her own way in a very male dominated catholic church.

Let me know how it goes if you try the nut loaf. I think you will like it! People often have the impression that nuts are very expensive, but compared to buying meat I think they work out pretty well. :)

Mandy said...

PS - very glad your friend was late for work that day!